Kicking Off This Year’s NaNoWriMo, featuring Municipal Liaisons Catherine Noon and Alexis Daria
SUBSCRIBE: APPLE PODCASTS | GOOGLE PLAY | EMAIL DOWNLOAD
We’re five days into NaNoWriMo, and today’s guests are two seasoned NaNoWriMo municipal liaisons who know a lot about the value of a writing community. Brooke and Grant share where they’re at with their writing goals—Brooke slow and steady and Grant sprinting out the gate to get ahead, a strategy he says he always uses since inevitable life issues are bound to throw him off his word count goals every November. This episode is chock-full of ideas for getting out there and finding community—which is the best way to ensure you get your writing done.
ABOUT ALEXIS DARIA AND A. CATHERINE NOON
Alexis Daria is an award-winning contemporary romance author, artist, and native New Yorker. Her debut, Take the Lead, was a 2018 RITA® Award winner for “Best First Book” and was named one of the Best Romance Novels of 2017 by The Washington Post and Entertainment Weekly. Her next book, Dance All Night, comes out December 11th. Find Alexis on Twitter @alexisdaria, or talking about writing and books on her blog at alexisdaria.com.
For author and textile artist A. Catherine Noon, it’s all about the yarn, both metaphorical and literal – spinning a yarn, knitting with yarn, weaving, sewing, painting, sharing stories and good times over a cup of coffee with dark chocolate. She teaches creative writing, creative expression and textile arts. Find Noonie on Twitter @acatherinenoon.
NaNo Writing Action: Find a way to connect to a writing community!
A community can give you support through the rough times, inspiration, accountability, and more. No one quite understands what you’re going through as a writer—except other writers. Here are some ways to connect to community, especially this November during NaNoWriMo:
- Join your NaNoWriMo region on the NaNoWriMo website and try to go to a write-in, just to try it.
- Join the NaNoWriMo group on Facebook
- Check out the NaNoWriMo forums—1 million posts on every writing topic under the sun every November
- Follow the hashtag #NaNoWriMo on your preferred social media site. There’s a lot going on on Instagram and Twitter
- Send a tweet of encouragement to a writer you don’t know–just tell them to keep writing.
- Take part in any community that speaks to you.
- Help others to write, and you’re helping yourself.
Connect with Our Communities
Never miss an episode
Subscribe to Write-minded on Apple Podcasts, Google Play, Stitcher Radio, or by email.